Lalong Re-Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Jos Communities
Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong has re-imposed a 24-hour curfew on Jos North Local Government Area following the massacre of 35 people in Yelwa Zangam village.
Recall that the governor had earlier imposed a curfew on the local government and two others in the wake of the massacre of some innocent travellers along Rukuba road in the state a few weeks ago.
In the early hours of Wednesday, bandits attacked the village, burned some family members alive and shot at others during the attack.
Lalong, in a statement by his spokesman, Makut Simon Macham, said the curfew begins from 4 pm on Wednesday and will remain in place subject to further review by the State Security Council.
The governor said he took the step to forestall threats to lives and properties within the local government
The statement reads: “The proactive decision became necessary following imminent threat to lives and properties within the Local Government Area and the need to forestall the breakdown of law and order.
“It will also enable security agencies to deploy appropriately to maintain security as they search for the attackers of the villagers continues.
“The Governor has appealed to the citizens of Jos North to cooperate with the Government by abiding to the 24-hour curfew commencing 4pm, 25th August 2021, as security agencies have been mandated to ensure that those who violate the curfew are arrested.
“Also, the 6pm to 6am curfew in Jos South and Bassa LGAs still remains in place until further notice. Only people on essential duties such as health personnel, journalists, fire service and paramilitary and others, are to be exempted from the curfew but should carry means of identification with them at all times.
“The Governor is calling for calm as he is seriously grieved by the attacks.”