Gunmen Strike Again In Plateau State, Kill 5, Abduct Four Others in Fresh Attack
A fresh attack by gunmen in Plateau State has resulted in the death of five persons while four others have been declared missing.
The attack reportedly happened in Bassa Local Government Area of the state.
Confirming the incident on Wednesday, the National President of the Irigwe Development Association, Ezekiel Bini, narrated that the victims were killed on Tuesday night when gunmen attacked Chando-Zrrechi (Tafi-Gana) village.
He said the gunmen also abducted four other persons and their whereabouts remain unknown.
Narrating to Punch, Bini said, “Yes, the killing of the five persons is true and we are on our way to meet the governor over the continued killings in our communities in Bassa.
“Our people were attacked last night (Tuesday) at Chando-Zrrechi and five people were killed.
“They were in their homes when the gunmen came and killed them despite the curfew imposed by the state government.
“Their corpses have just been deposited at the mortuary. Aside the five people that were killed last night, four other villagers were also captured on Sunday and since then, we have not seen them.”
The development is happening few days after gunmen attacked some innocent travellers in Plateau State, killing at least 22 of them in cold blood.
Meanwhile, the Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong has given a marching order to security operatives to arrest those trying to circumvent investigations into the recent killing of innocent travellers in the state.
According to the governor, some people are in a hurry to bail suspects arrested in connection with the recent killings in the state before investigations are concluded – an act he observed is capable of derailing ongoing investigations into the matter.
He, therefore, told security operatives to prevent such from happening by arresting those who want to derail the process, adding that some of them might be sponsors or accomplices to such crimes.
Lalong gave the order on Tuesday at an emergency meeting on peace and security with stakeholders in Jos in the wake of the recent killing of not less than 22 innocent travellers in the Rukuba area of the state.
Several others were also injured in the attack, Naija News recalls.
While speaking on the incident, Governor Lalong expressed concerns about the development and warned that anyone found culpable will be dealt with according to the law.