Luis Diaz has undergone his medical ahead of a £45m move to Liverpool, who expect to complete the signing of the Porto winger on Sunday.
Liverpool moved into pole position to sign Diaz this week after making a late swoop for the Colombia international, who was also wanted by Tottenham.
Spurs also made an offer for Diaz, but the 25-year-old prefers a move to Liverpool, who are now set to make him their first signing of the January transfer window.
Diaz was manager Jurgen Klopp’s first choice for the summer window, but Liverpool accelerated their plans due to Spurs’ strong interest.
Liverpool are said to be offering an initial £37m, with bonuses included in the deal that will only be triggered if Diaz becomes a big success at Anfield.
Diaz is on international duty with Colombia, and is set to feature against Argentina in Tuesday’s World Cup qualifier.
Tottenham had been locked in talks with Porto over Diaz this week, with the Premier League club said to be willing to pay up to £46m, with £37.6m up front and £8.4m in performance-related add-ons.
There was confidence from both sides that a deal could be reached before Liverpool reignited their interest.
Tottenham feel like they did everything possible to secure the deal but the player simply prefers a move to Liverpool.
Missing out on Diaz will be another big blow for Spurs this month, after the breakdown of the deal for Wolves winger Adama Traore, who has returned to Barcelona on loan.
Spurs are now working hard on other targets ahead of Monday’s deadline, with Sky in Italy reporting they are in advanced talks to sign Juventus duo Dejan Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur.